“Ecosystem” and “partnership” were the buzzwords of the enterprise mobility community on Day 2 of Mobile World Congress. The mobile ecosystem continues to grow at a staggering rate, and today’s providers are collectively improving at integrating and collaborating with one another. Read on below for news highlights from around the mobile ecosystem and some suggestions for what to do tomorrow at the biggest mobility event of the year.
5 Things to Know from MWC Today
- VMware made some big announcements about two key new partnerships. Yesterday, VMware and IBM announced a strategic partnership designed to help enterprises take better advantage of the cloud’s speed and economics. The joint architecture and cloud offering will enable customers to automatically provision pre-configured VMware SDDC environments, consisting of VMware vSphere, NSX and Virtual SAN on the IBM Cloud. Additionally, Oracle announced this morning that VMware is joining the Oracle Mobile Cloud Service ecosystem to deliver a streamlined development and deployment process built on the AirWatch foundation of strong management and security.
— VMware AirWatch (@AirWatch) February 23, 2016
- Other big news in enterprise mobility came from a press conference this morning, where four EMM leaders – AirWatch, IBM, JAMF and MobileIron – announced that they are collaborating on a common approach to simplify enterprise app development and deployment based on native mobile OS standards. Read more about the #AppConfig Community here.
- There has been a flurry of new smartphones, virtual reality gadgets and other connected devices revealed at MWC this week. This roundup from Gizmodo has a running list of the coolest and most talked about new tech toys in the market.
- One of the most informative sessions for CIOs and IT leaders so far was today’s CIO Roundtable, led and moderated by Nick McQuire of CCS Insights. A panel of four IT leaders from Shell, CaixaBank,TUI OneAviation and TVH Group discussed the biggest successes, challenges, outcomes and future priorities of their mobility initiatives. Read some of the Twitter conversations from the session here.
— VMware AirWatch (@AirWatch) February 23, 2016
- Mobile security is a topic that continues to come up in conversations, keynotes and session Q&A’s at MWC this year. The Mobile Security Alliance, which VMware announced last fall with 10 other leading mobile security vendors, aims to provide customers with more secure, flexible and simple options to be more confident that their mobile applications, devices and networks can better protect against mobile threats. Today, VMware announced that three new partners have joined MSA: F5 Networks, Intel Security and Wandera. If you’re at MWC, stop by the VMware booth to see how these technologies integrate with AirWatch for enhanced security.
— Joseph Razavian (@jrazavian) February 23, 2016
5 Things To Do Tomorrow at MWC
- Hear from Sanjay Poonen on the Digital Workspace. Sanjay Poonen, EVP and General Manager of EUC at VMware, will give one of his famously energetic keynotes in the VMware Theater on how the Digital Workspace is redefining end-user computing in the mobile cloud era. Whether this is your first or 50th time hearing Sanjay speak, you won’t be disappointed by his catchy sayings (“Sesame Street Simple,” anyone?) and his understanding of and vision for the EUC market. (10:00 – 11:00; Hall 3, Stand 3K10)
- Learn how to enable the smart workforce. Hear from an accomplished panel of mobile thought leaders on how the consumerization of IT and the complexities of mobile diversity is transforming the workplace. Led by Dab Shey, VP, B2B at ABI Research, this panel will explore the strategies and best practices you should pursue to ensure a successful and future-proof mobile workforce. (15:15 – 16:15; Hall 4, Auditorium 4)
- Join our #MWCMobile Twitter Chat. Brian Katz, Director of Mobile Strategy for EUC at VMware, will host a 45-minute Twitter Chat that will cover the biggest trends and newest technologies from Mobile World Congress 2016. If you’re onsite in Barcelona, meet up with Brian and other social influencers in the VMware booth, and if you’re joining from home, RSVP and add the event to your calendar here. (17:00 – 17:45; Hall 3, Stand 3K10; Twitter.com)
- Explore the enterprise mobility ecosystem. VMware prides itself on its integrations and partnerships with a constantly growing ecosystem of technology providers. From platform partners and device manufacturers to application developers and security providers, the enterprise mobility ecosystem will be on full display in the VMware booth at MWC all week. Check out the newest devices, operating system updates, app integrations and more. (All day; Hall 3, Stand 3K10)
- Network in the garden. This year, there will be 11 Networking Gardens across Fira Gran Via, all with ample seating, food and drink outlets and free Wi-Fi. These are great places to hold impromptu gatherings, meet clients, mingle with other attendees or simply grab some fresh air. We’re also especially excited to check out the Graffiti Wall and the Intel Drone Zone within the gardens this year. (All day; various locations across Fira Gran Via)