Connect Atlanta always serves as the launch pad for new innovations in the world of business mobility. 2016 is no different. In fact, this might be our most memorable Connect ever.
Today at Connect Atlanta 2016, we revealed so many new updates and features that I’m floored by the work our R&D teams did in the past few months.
Among all today’s announcements, there are three monumental product announcements that propel us further into the digital workspace era:
1. VMware AirWatch Unified Endpoint Management
2. VMware Workspace ONE Mobile Productivity Enhancements
3. Safe Passage and Mobile Device Management (MDM) Migration Tools
Let’s dive straight into how these three announcements bring the digital workspace to life for businesses and the modern workforce.
1. AirWatch Unified Endpoint Management
At VMworld U.S. 2016 last month, I shared what we believe is the next era of end-user computing: unified endpoint management (UEM). UEM technology is a transformative
new architecture that brings app, desktop and mobile management together—with next-gen security and identity interwoven throughout.
Today at Connect, I’m excited to announce that the new era has officially arrived with our AirWatch 9.0 release.
Simply put, AirWatch UEM is the next phase in our industry’s evolution. We’ve been on a journey together and have seen the industry evolve from basic Mobile Device Management (MDM) to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). And now with AirWatch Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) we are able to provide a holistic and user-centric approach to manage all endpoints in an organization – mobile, desktop and IoT – in a modern cloud approach with a single platform.
- Traditional desktops and laptops
- Mobile devices of all form factors, operating systems (OS) and manufacturers
- Rugged and critical operations line of business endpoints
- Next-gen connected wearables and things
AirWatch UEM is available as a stand-alone product or as a part of Workspace ONE.
Here are some of the powerful capabilities and features of AirWatch UEM.
Rethink Legacy Desktop & Laptop Management
Some of this exciting new technology was previewed and announced at VMworld and Microsoft Ignite 2016, and we’re excited to bring next-gen Windows management into AirWatch UEM. Here’s a recap of these powerful features and a look into two brand new Windows Management capabilities:
- Configuration Management: Operating system (OS) configuration can be orchestrated whether the device is on the domain, network or in cloud.
- Software Distribution: Package and deliver any app (modern or Win32) to end users on or off the network. Consolidate apps into a unified self-service application catalog with single sign-on (SSO) authentication.
- Tech Preview of App Stack Packaging: Reduce packaging complexities and provide a more reliable and less intrusive way to deliver Win32 apps out to physical devices.
- OS Patch Management: Flexible management of OS updates and patches from the cloud eliminate the need for traditional WSUS infrastructure, helping organizations adopt Windows-as-a-Service.
- Client Health and Security: Complementing Windows Information Protection policies available in Windows 10, IT administrators can enhance security, designate trusted applications, configure enterprise-protected boundaries and enforce flexible data moving and/or sharing policies.
- Windows 10 Migration Assessment Tool: New SysTrack Desktop Assessment Service provides a comprehensive analysis of your end-user computing (EUC) environment. The assessment makes recommendations on an optimal approach for deploying and managing Windows 10 across physical and virtual endpoints. Click here to dive into the powerful features and get started for free at assessment.vmware.com.
Learn more about AirWatch on our website at airwatch.com.
Scale & Manage IoT, Augmented Reality & Mixed Virtual Experiences
If you think about consumerization of IT trends over the past five years and the impact of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) on the enterprise and scale that up ten-fold, you begin to understand the implications of Internet of Things (IoT) and wearables on mobile device management. Considering the wide range of emerging wearables, IoT connected devices, smartphones and tablets will fit into one holistic management framework involving data, cloud and mobile interactivity.
Smart glasses are one of the most innovative developments in the emerging wearable technology market. Today’s innovators and early adopters use smart glasses to reimagine workflows, transform customer interactions and build new innovations that could completely reinvent their industries. With these powerful use cases in mind, implementing smart glasses and augmented reality (AR) applications in the workplace will soon be a business imperative.
We are excited to announce new IoT and AR management capabilities as part of today’s Connect Atlanta innovations.
Leveraging our core strengths around device management, we:
- Partnered with leading smart glasses manufacturers and AR app developers, like Atheer, APX, Intel, ODG and VUZIX Corp, to build Android and Windows 10 wearable management and app delivery at scale.
- Expanded the same unified endpoint management platform you already use to include wearable management. Now, you can manage smart glasses alongside your current mobile, tablet and laptop deployments. The updates will bring IT a simplified onboarding experience to easily set up devices with networks and applications.
- Announced support for Windows 10 IoT and Surface Hub devices.
Read Bhavesh Kumar’s blog to delve into these exciting new capabilities.
2. Workspace ONE Mobile Productivity Enhancements
Workspace ONE builds on AirWatch to deliver a user-centric, unified approach to the digital workspace. With Workspace ONE, IT provides users with “consumer-simple” access to all their apps on any device via a secure enterprise app catalog. In today’s announcement, several unique innovations help IT securely enable more use cases, including Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and contractors.
New innovations enable real-time security across apps without sacrificing end-user experience:
- OS Mobile Application Management (MAM): Enables organizations to expand their MAM container on the device to any application but without having to do traditional MDM management.
- Continuous Access Policy: Instantly block access to in-use applications if devices fail compliance, such as leaving a beacon-enabled area.
- Password Form Fill: IT can now extend the single sign-on (SSO) experience to non-standards based web apps. Admins teach Workspace ONE where usernames and passwords are in specific web-based apps, and the new Workspace ONE Browser extension injects those credentials as needed.
- Internal app distribution: Through the Workspace ONE app catalog, admins can now distribute internally developed apps to unmanaged devices without uploading into public app stores.
- Device compliance-based conditional access: For VMware Horizon apps and desktops, IT can now extend VMware’s leading access policy engine for virtual apps and desktops.
- Self-service password reset: Employees and contractors can now reset their passwords directly within Workspace ONE with no IT involvement – saving valuable IT time and resources.
Learn more about Workspace ONE at workspaceone.com.
3. Mobile Device Management Migration Tool & Safe Passage
As this industry evolution continues, many organizations are finding themselves with multiple point management solutions for mobile, desktop, apps and even IoT. To help customers transition to a comprehensive Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) platform, AirWatch is offering several migration services from traditional MDM players to VMware AirWatch. Additionally, VMware has expanded its Safe Passage program to help BlackBerry customers who must now migrate from Good for Enterprise with the recent end-of-life announcement and launched a MDM migration tool. These services will streamline the process from transitioning to VMware AirWatch with minimal end-user impact.
To learn more about the MDM migration tool, read this great blog from Jeff McGrath.
Bonus: VMware Boxer for Android & iOS
After much anticipation since we launched Boxer for enterprise, I am excited to say that AirWatch now supports Boxer enterprise for Android and iOS devices.
Boxer delivers an integrated email, calendar and contacts experience that is both intuitive and secure. Part of the Workspace ONE productivity apps suite, Boxer supports simplified IT management of email and improves user productivity. Boxer now is available on iOS and Android, with the latest version as a full stand-alone MAM solution for a great BYOD experience.
For IT, key capabilities include:
- Support for data loss prevention policy controls.
- Simplified evaluation, deployment, onboarding and management for both corporate and BYOD.
For users, mobile productivity remains at the forefront. Boxer enables users to:
- Configure settings and preferences.
- Boost productivity with features like quick replies, send calendar availability and one-click access to intranet sites.
Learn more about VMware Boxer for enterprises here, and watch the video below.
We’re Not Done Yet
In the meantime, dive deeper into today’s product news and announcements with these great resources:
- VMware Offers Safe Passage to BlackBerry Good for Enterprise Customers
- New MDM Migration Tool Automates Transition from Legacy Vendors to AirWatch EMM
- Smart Glasses at Work: AirWatch Unified Endpoint Management Now Supports Wearables