In just over a week, thousands of enterprise users will be downloading Apple’s highly anticipated operating system update. When Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi previewed iOS 8 at WWDC in June, he said it would be “a huge hit in the enterprise,” thanks to new management, security and productivity features, as well as a growing ecosystem of iOS-tailored enterprise apps. (Read AirWatch’s take on enterprise features in iOS 8 here.) If you’re managing your mobile enterprise with AirWatch, you can enable enhanced manageability features as soon as your users update.
Updated AirWatch environments ensure devices will remain enrolled in AirWatch with existing management functionality intact. And because AirWatch’s R&D team has been working to integrate AirWatch with iOS 8 since the beta version was released in June, administrators will be able to leverage enhanced MDM functionality through AirWatch as soon as their iOS users update.
Leveraging the new capabilities in iOS 8, the AirWatch platform will enable IT administrators to take advantage of the following features:
- Always-on VPN to automatically connect users to the company VPN for access to corporate resources.
- Single sign-on certificate-support that enables users to easily switch between enterprise applications.
- Per message S/MIME to allow users to sign individual messages for more granular email encryption.
- Administrative capabilities to prevent users from editing restrictions in the settings menu on the device.
- New device queries, such as last iCloud backup, to give administrators additional oversight.
- Enhanced settings and enrollment information to increase device management transparency for users.
- Document provider APIs to make it easy for developers to create seamless access to corporate documents.
- Download restrictions to prevent users from opening content on enterprise domains in third party applications.
- Automatic distribution of iBooks, ePub, and PDF documents pushed through AirWatch to user devices.