It’s a numbers game this week. In the past few days, we have learned about a website and app that has helped contractors rake in $1.5 trillion and an upcoming deployment of 23,000 iOS 6 Pluses.
- United Airlines announced this week plans to deploy 23,000 devices to flight operations staff. Flight attendants will use iPhone 6 Pluses for retail transactions and as a corporate device. Equipping flight attendants with mobile point of sales devices is a trend for airlines and their operations staff.
- USA Today has named Matt Ehrlichman Entrepreneur of the Year. Ehrlichman leads the website and recently launched mobile app Porch, which connects homeowners with contractors. Ehrlichman calls Porch “the Uber of home maintenance,” and since its launch, Porch has facilitated $1.5 trillion in home improvements and repairs.
- IBM and Apple are combining forces in their app partnership, which is called MobileFirst. MobileFirst will be a suite of apps catered specifically to certain industries and will not be available on the iTunes Store. The first batch of apps was released this week and includes tools for banking, government and telecommunication industries.
- In a recent essay, Harvard economist Michael Porter and James Heppelmann, president of the software firm PTC, call the Internet of Things a “third wave of IT-driven transformation.” Succeeding IT-enabled automation and the Internet, we’ve barely scratched the surface of this third and most significant IT transformation. “Another leap in productivity in the economy will be unleashed by these new and better products,” Porter and Heppelmann write.
- Microsoft is revealing Windows 10 features slowly but surely. Throughout the fall season Microsoft has been leaking sneak peeks into the next update of its seasoned software and this week revealed that on Jan. 21, more details will emerge.
- Maintaining mobile security requires both an offensive and defensive strategy. Read our take on WireLurker and learn how to prevent similar malware from infecting your device fleet.
- AirWatch is hosting two new webinars next week. Monday’s “Enterprise Mobility Powered by the AirWatch Ecosystem” will cover AirWatch technology partners and best practices for integrating mobile with your existing IT infrastructure. On Tuesday, “Experience Unified Laptop Management with AirWatch” will demonstrate the latest laptop management capabilities in AirWatch and present our plans for providing a complete unified endpoint management solution. Learn more and register on our webinar page.