VMware AirWatch proudly announced the Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) for AirWatch 9. Lots of folks spent many hours internally collaborating with the U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) to ensure VMware AirWatch version 9.x MDM is configured to allow other U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Agencies to use mobile devices securely. This is the second STIG awarded to AirWatch; the first was AirWatch MDM Software 6.5 in 2014.
What Is a DISA STIG?
A STIG is a document published by DISA to provide a DoD agency with guidance to configure a computer system and minimize any possible attack against that system. To ensure AirWatch is configured consistently across agencies, our STIG documents:
- Software components required to run AirWatch;
- Configuration of network topology; and
- Step-by-step manual for configuring the management console and end-user policies.
How Did AirWatch Earn a DISA STIG?
AirWatch began the National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) Common Criteria (CC) process and received sponsorship from a DoD entity. Based on the progress made with our CC evaluation, we were allowed to begin the DISA STIG evaluation.
The AirWatch DISA STIG is based on the NIAP MDM Protection Profile (PP), version 2.0. AirWatch was then asked to respond to a series of questions based on the PP. After the AirWatch responses were approved, the product went through a full evaluation to validate that the recommended configuration could be repeated by DoD agencies. After this final evaluation, AirWatch asked DISA’s Approval Board for final approval.
What Is the Value of the DISA STIG?
The STIG’s purpose is to ensure that software (and hardware) is configured to minimize the attack surfaces a malicious actor could use to gain control of or access to a U.S. government system. A secondary use for the STIG is to demonstrate to non-public sector enterprise customers that AirWatch 9.X can be configured to operate in the most secure environments.
AirWatch is very proud of the collaborative efforts both internally and with DISA. Without this the process would have been impossible.
- To read the DISA STIG release memo, please click here.
- Download the actual AirWatch 9.x MDM STIG here.
- To learn how to properly view STIGs, please visit this page.
VMware is the only company that has a DISA approved STIG for complete coverage of MDM solutions. When using VMware, agencies and enterprises can be sure their complete VMware environment—from data center to endpoint management—are deployed in a secure manner.
Find additional VMware STIGs here:
- VMware NSX Distributed Firewall STIG, Version 1
- VMware NSX Distributed Logical Router STIG, Version 1
- VMware NSX Manager STIG, Version 1
- VMware NSX STIG Overview, Version 1
- VMware vSphere 6.0 ESXi STIG – Ver 1, Rel 2
- VMware vSphere 6.0 Overview – Version 1, Release 1
- VMware vSphere 6.0 vCenter Server for Windows STIG – Ver 1, Rel 2
- VMware vSphere 6.0 Virtual Machine STIG – Version 1, Release 1
Because you liked this blog: